I am Ken Whelan – a fisheries scientist with extensive international experience and a substantial publication record. I now work as a marine and freshwater fisheries consultant.
- sport fisheries – marine and freshwater
- the marine and freshwater ecology of migratory fish
- the ecology of freshwater sport fish species
- the ecology of freshwater invertebrates
- climate change impacts on the aquatic environment.
I have extensive experience of technical project management and sourcing research funding in these fields.
freshwater & marine sport fisheries
I also specialise in recreational angling and can advise on all aspects of running freshwater or marine sport fisheries:
- stock management – conservation, restoration and enhancement
- fishery management (stock assessment, fishery regulations, catch & release, harvest strategies etc.)
- environmental impacts (assessment, mitigation etc.)
- providing courses on water craft, ecology, fisheries, angling methods and angling guide training
- promotion and marketing of the angling product.
- Wildlife films
- Radio (I’m a regular contributor to the Mooney Goes Wild wildlife programme on Irish radio (http://www.rte.ie/radio/mooneygoeswild/)
- Magazine articles – for example Off the Scale Magazine – March / April 2018 – Rainbow Revolution by Ken Whelan.